I’m enlarging my watercolor palette. I had been using a Winsor&Newton Cotman Watercolor Sketcher Pocket Box. Quite portable, it holds only 12 colors but I had used it for all my urbansketching over 5 years. ( I had it for over 25 years.) Now I’m ready to expand.
My new palette is a metal palette with a bit more room for mixing colors and holds more colors. It’s a Meeden from Amazon. Also purchased from Amazon are half-pans. I can put 17 half-pans possibly squeezed in 19.
I based my color choices on the warm/cool color palette. I’m aiming for more professional grades, mostly Daniel Smith and Winsor&Newton.
So the list goes as follows:
Primary colors –
- For yellows – Daniel Smith Hansa Yellow and Utrecht Cadmium Yellow Medium
- For reds – American Journey Permanent Rose and Blick Alizarin Crimson
- For blues – Daniel Smith Cerulean Blue and Daniel Smith Ultramarine Blue
Secondary colors –
- Daniel Smith Quinacridone Violet
- Daniel Smith Sap Green
- Daniel Smith Viridian
- Winsor&Newton Cadmium Orange
I call these earth colors –
- Winsor&Newton Burnt Sienna
- Winsor&Newton Burnt Umber
- Blick Yellow Ochre
And American Journey Payne Grey
I’m searching for a deeper purple than the violet. For the reds, I’m not completely happy with the permanent rose, still need a warmer red. Any suggestions?